Last Update: July 2021
DNS Server (common)
CloudFlare: 126.96.36.199 & 188.8.131.52
[ Private DNS: 1dot1dot1dot1.cloudflare-dns.com ]
Google: 184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11
[ Private DNS: dns.google ]
OpenDNS: 18.104.22.168 & 22.214.171.124
[ Private DNS: doh.opendns.com ]
Quad9: 126.96.36.199 & 188.8.131.52
[ Private DNS: dns.quad9.net]
DNS Server (others)
Blahdns: check their website
[ Private DNS: dot-sg.blahdns.com / dot-jp.blahdns.com / dot-ch.blahdns.com / dot-de.blahdns.com / dot-fi.blahdns.com ]
doh.tiar.app: 184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11
[ Private DNS: dot.tiar.app ]
Other server list: kb.adguard.com/en/general/dns-providers
Other server list: privacytools.io/providers/dns/
Google Chrome - fix website article/new read limit
Right click -> Inspect -> Application tab -> Clear site data -> Refresh the page
Google Map - How to Recalibrate your Compass
1. Open Google Maps on your device
2. Tape the blue dot that shows your current location
3. Scroll down and press the Calibrate button
4. Follow the on-screen instruction to calibrate the compass
Network Wiring 568A/568B [RJ45]
Telephone Wiring [RJ11]
The POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) residential telephone wiring generally contains two pairs of wires - designed for two separate telephone lines. The center pins (Red and Green) contain the first telephone line.
Automatic Login to Windows
1. Start -> type 'netplwiz'
2. Clear the 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' checkbox
3. In the following dialog box, enter the user’s password twice and click OK
Bring Off-Screen Window Back Onto Screen
Fix 1 - Show Desktop Togger
Hold down the Windows Key, then press “D“. Repeat these steps to see if it makes the window you are looking for reappear.
Fix 2 – Move Option 1
Select the program in the task bar.
Hold the Windows Key while pressing Left Arrow or Right Arrow repeatedly to move the window back into view.
Fix 3 – Move Option 2
Hold down the “Shift” key while right-clicking the program in the taskbar, then select “Move“.
Use your mouse or the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the window back onto the screen.
Command Prompt, Open with Administrator
Option 1: Press Windows+R to open the “Run” box. Type “cmd” into the box and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to run the command as an administrator.
Option 2: Hit Start, type “command,” and you’ll see “Command Prompt” listed as the main result. Right-click that result and choose “Run as administrator.”
Option 3: Press Windows+X or just right-clicking the Start button. On the Power Users menu, choose “Command Prompt (Admin).”
Common Windows Program Windows Key + R to run
cleanmgr - Disk Cleanup
dxdiag - DirectX Diagnostic Tool
msconfig - System Configuration Utility
regedit - Registry Editor
taskmgr - Windows Task Manager (also works with Ctrl+Shift+Esc)
Clipboard History - remember your clipboard history when enabled - Windows Key + v
Emoji Panel - open the emoji panel - Windows Key + . (period)
Windows key + X - opens the Quick Access Menu
Edge Browser (force to open shortcut / url)
1. Right click on desktop, click New, click Shortcut
3. Enter any name and click Finish
PowerCfg (the hidden energy and battery tool)
1. Open Command Prompt with Admin Privilege
2. Run: "powercfg /batteryreport" generates a report of battery usage of your computer (manufacturer, capacity, cycle count & usage history)
3. Run: "powercfg /sleepstudy" generates a diagnostic connected standby report (tells you which apps/devices are draining your battery)
Restart / Shutdown via Command Prompt
You can perform a scheduled shutdown in command prompt by using 'shutdown /t [seconds] /s'
ie. For shutdown in 30 minutes: shutdown /t 1800 /s
/t [seconds] - set the timeout period before shutdown
/s - shutdown the computer
/r - full shutdown and restart the computer
/a - abort the shutdown, actual usage: shutdown /a
Restart / Shutdown via Task Scheduler
Ways to open Task Scheduler:
1a. Windows key + R to open the Run command. Type taskschd.msc and press enter.
1b. Windows key + S to open Search. Type Task Scheduler and click open.
Once you got Task Scheduler to open.
2. Right-click on the Task Scheduler Library and select New Folder. Name the new folder as Schedule Reboot or anything you like and click OK.
3. Expand Task Scheduler Library and select the Schedule Reboot folder. Then right-click on it and select Create Basic Task.
4. When you select Create Basic Task, it will open a wizard. Name it Reboot and click Next.
5. The Trigger section lets you decide when your task needs to be run. You can schedule reboot daily, one time, weekly, etc. Select daily and click next.
6. Specify the time at which you want to run the reboot and click Next.
7. In the Action section, select Start a program and click Next.
8. Type shutdown /r in program/script field and click Next. (other commands are listed above)
9. Windows may prompt a message box asking for permission. Click yes.
10. Click Finish to complete the task.
Start Menu folders
There're actually 2 locations for Start menu items.
The first one contains all Start menu entries for software installed "For me only". The second one contains everything installed "For everyone".
Windows Directory List to Text (using Command Prompt)
Run: "dir /b > dirlist.txt" Creates a list containing file names only.
Run: "dir > dirlist.txt" To include file sizes & dates
Run: "dir /b /s > dirlist.txt" To include files in sub-directories & create a list of files with the full directory structure name
Windows Hosts File Located at %systemroot%/system32/drivers/etc
Note: Must open Notepad with administrator privileges to edit and save the file
1. Start, type 'notepad', press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
2. Browse to the above directory and open the file 'hosts'
3. Make your changes and save.
Recommend HOSTS list: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
Windows 10 - Manually Upgrade to the Latest Version
Option 1: Use the latest Windows 10 Update Assistant
Option 2: Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool
-both are available at www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
Windows 10 - Repair/Fix Windows 10 Image
1. Open Command Prompt with Admin Privilege
2. Run: "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth"
This will run an advanced scan and repair any problems automatically.
3. Run: "sfc /scannow"
This will verify the integrity of operating system files & repair files that are corrupt, damaged or changed.
DISM creates a log file (%windir%/Logs/CBS/CBS.log) that captures any issues that the tool found or fixed. %windir% is the folder in which Windows is installed. For example, the %windir% folder is C:\Windows.
Windows 10 - Show Seconds In System Clock
Download this set of registry files to enable/disable 'seconds' display. file
Windows Sandbox (installation guide)
Info and Discussion at Microsoft Tech Community
1. Install Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise (Version 1903 or above)
2. Enable virtualization settings in the BIOS
3. Open Windows Features, and then select Windows Sandbox. Select OK to install Windows Sandbox. You might be asked to restart the computer.
4. Using the Start menu, find Windows Sandbox, run it and allow the elevation
5. You can use copy and paste function to transfer files between the host and the sandbox
6. Run the executable in the Windows Sandbox; if it is an installer go ahead and install it
7. Run the application and use it as you normally do. If you don't encounter any issue and the program works just fine, than you can install it on your system. If you find issues running or crack/patch not working, or feel some lags or adware or hack issues on that sandbox, than don't install the software on main system.
8. When you’re done experimenting, you can simply close the Windows Sandbox application. All sandbox content will be discarded and permanently deleted
Windows Storage Spaces
Can I remove a drive from a Windows 10 mirrored storage space drive pool without replacing it?
| Virtualizing Storage